Saturday, 2 November 2013

Individual Idea for a Storyboard - Miss Miller

The purpose of a storyboard is so that I have a clear image of how I want my own thriller to be produced, I therefore created a storyboard consisting of 14 frames. Each of the frames contain information of how I want my shots to come out of; camera shots, location, iconography, lighting, actors, sound, editing and narrative description. With each frame I drew an image which links with the description I have written.

In the first frame a long shot would be used to establish the house and the surroundings, and then a panning shot would be used of the car driving into the driveway. This is an introduction for the audience for them to be aware of the setting and location, allowing them to relate to the character within the scene. Also, another cinematography that would be used is a point-of-view shot which puts the audience in the male characters point of view and shoes, this allows the audience to be part of what is happening or what the character is doing, involving the audience.

Furthermore, in frame 5 another point-of-view shot would be used when Lucy sees the shed suddenly turn on. This enables the audience to be in the female's perspective and see exactly what she sees - nothing extra and nothing less, also through the use of the audience seeing from Lucy's point-of-view - also puts the audience in a vulnerable position as an innocent blonde female, who is home alone. Through Lucy's immediate attention diverting to the shed light helps create tension and curiosity.
In addition, another key element is when Lucy shouts "Who there?" and a close up of her face is shown to the audience, this helps the audience to fully understand her emotions and feelings. This also helps to builds a stronger relationship between the audience and the character within the frame.

Moreover, another key feature is the use of conventional iconography, within my opening sequence a knife is used this is seen to be stereotypically as it conveys murder, death and danger. Also with the young female and a knife being shown together can be shown to key elements to create suspense and curiosity. The use of low-key lighting would also be used within my opening sequence, this would help create the feel of darkness and eeriness throughout the scene, also as it is already dark outside it would help create a feeling of coldness and also a place of danger as she is home alone.






Through the use of my individual storyboard idea I have realised that if I definitely include these key elements within my opening sequence then it could be a successful thriller, however I would need to make sure I do each specific shot correctly accordingly to my storyboard otherwise everything might start messing up. I also may need to make some alterations or have some back up plans if something does not work out, for instance we as a group would need to make a plan of how we are going to film Lucy falling downstairs.

I have created my storyboard by being inspired by many films, Insidious is one of the main films which allowed me to up with an idea, quite intense of there being another dimensional world intervening with humans. Also, the idea of the use of low-key lighting comes from Insidious as it helps create suspense as when it's dark the audience would not see everything and may see shadows. Additionally, from the Haunting in Connecticut I have been inspired by the use of different types of cinematography being used, especially the close-up of the young, innocent, blonde female as this enables the audience to build a relationship with the character within the scene which is understanding and thorough.

As a group we all individually created a storyboard as it would be helpful for us, as we all would have an understanding of what we want each shot to look like, making it easier for when we actually go to produce our own thriller. The time spent on decisions of where and how we want to shoot our shots.

By producing a storyboard I believe that it has made it much easier for me to picture the frames of how I want them to be produced, this would be useful as for me and my group. Once our group get together for our next group meeting we will be able to discuss how we will produce the shots, considering each of our views.

2 comments:

  1. You have briefly explained the purpose of an individual storyboard and what you have included in yours; however, you need to explain why you have decided to use certain elements and what you hope they will create (e.g. close up to create...).
    You also need to elaborate on what you have realised about your idea since creating the storyboard and how you will improve it.

    To improve your post you need to:
    1) Explain why you have chosen to use certain elements and to create what
    2) Explain what you have realsied about your idea
    3) Say where you have taken some inspirations from in relation to previous posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have provided an excellent recount of your storyboard, explaining in depth why you have decided to use certain elements and what you wish them to create, as well as where you have taken inspirations from.

    Check spelling and clarity of work

    ReplyDelete