Wednesday, 12 February 2014

AS Thriller Evaluation

For our thriller sequence, we as a group which consisted of me, Lucy and James had to carry out important research and planning before we started to produce our opening sequence. This was so we all had knowledge of what's typical within a thriller genre, which therefore our sequence related with a thriller rather than a different genre.

For our production to take place smoothly, we as a three separated our roles individually between these roles:

Producer - responsible for the financial and marketing side of the sequence

Director - controls the steps towards the making of the sequence

Actors - individuals playing a character within the sequence

Director of photography - controller of the camerawork and shots taken

Screenplay writer - writer of the sequence

Sound technicians - control of which sounds are to be included within the sequence

Editors - completes the film by editing - one of the last steps to completion of sequence

Mise-en-scene coordinators - controls the lighting, iconography and hair & make-up


For the following production roles above, I was appointed as the director, editor, actor, and one of the director of photography and I we all as a group contributed in created a screenplay for our sequence. Through filming some of our shots within the opening sequence I believe that I had learnt to be prepared beforehand, and also that everything planned does not always work - so patience is needed and responsibility as to what to do next, such as when I was the director. Also once I started to get used to filming I soon started to film faster without having any faults with the first shot taken. Moreover, the editing process I learnt how to use Final Cut Pro X - as at first it was challenging however once I kept editing I soon got used to the transitions needed to be made. As the actor I only enacted a shadow for the ghost within the house, what was difficult was how to portray the ghost as we needed more light - this was challenging. Finally, taking part in the screenplay I believed it would be a quick process, however I had to think twice as I had to understand what each movement or step would be portrayed as to the audience.

Furthermore, I believe that my group well as a group as we all had our inputs put it. This allowed our group to smoothly work through our planning and making of the opening sequence. This is mainly because we were all given our individual roles - which were to be completed on time. However, one of the group members did have difficulty to complete the work set on time, this did take longer - however it was all completed on time.

In addition, we all as a group helped each other in anything needed to be completed or if we were stuck on a point. The support we all gave each other was motivating for us all to complete our work, but also to create a successful thriller. To create a successful film, the first idea is not always necessarily kept the same - we had always altered ours to make sure it fitted with the conventional thriller genre, such as the sequence consisting of an antagonist, unknown location, night time, knife etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment